I have taught Film and Television studies in Higher Education since 2008 at York St John University, Queen’s University Belfast, University of Glasgow and Dublin City University. I joined Liverpool John Moores University as a Senior Lecturer in Filmmaking in September 2016. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) UK and an Avid Certified Instructor teaching Pro Tools.
- Guest Mentor, Videographic Criticism Workshop, Middlebury College, Vermont, USA, June 25th – July 1st 2017 (funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities).
- The Audiovisual Essay in Ireland, Maynooth University, (Co-Facilitated workshop with Dr Catherine Grant) 9-10 May 2016.
- Masterclass – “David Lynch and Alan Splet: Unpicking Sound Collaboration in the Archive” Listen, Cork Film Festival, Ireland, 11th November 2015.
- Masterclass – Foyle Film School, University of Ulster School of Media, Film & Journalism in partnership with The Nerve Centre, Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland, 7th September 2012.
Taught Modules 2008-2017
Undergraduate – Film Sound: Theory and History, Film Sound Design, Filmmaking (fact and fiction), Film Language, Film Criticism, Dissertation Supervision, Making Film and Television, Short Film, Channels of Communication, Ideology of the Image, Irish Cinema, Key Moments in Film and Television, Documentary for Film and Television.
Postgraduate – Sound Design for Film, Visual Culture, Audiovisual Essay, MLitt in Film and Television Studies Core Course, Research Methods for Creative and Critical Practice.
External Examiner Duties
- University of Reading, BA Film & Theatre (Joint Programmes), England, 2016-2020
- London South Bank University, BA Digital Film & Video degree, England, 2015-2019
- University of Chester, MA Television Production degree, England, 2012-2016
- Ballyfermot College of Further Education, BA Media Production Management degree, Ireland, 2012-2014
- External Assessor – BA (Hons) Film, Radio and Television degree, Canterbury Christ Church University, England, 2014
- External Academic Adviser – FdA Sound and Music Technology degree, Plymouth University, England, 2012